Sweet and Sour Quorn Meat Free Pieces
A classic Cantonese dish that is the ideal combination of crispy Quorn pieces coated in a flavouful sweet and sour sauce. Serve this with a mixture of cucumber, pineapple and tomato for a speedy and healthy dinner for your family!
- 150g Quorn Meat Free Pieces
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 50g corn starch
- 50g fresh or canned pineapple – diced
- 50g cucumber – deseeded and diced
- 50g tomato – diced
- 50g red onion – diced and peeled into petals
- 2 tsp of cooking oil
- 40g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30g brown sugar
- A dash of dark soy sauce
- Tomato ketchup
- 30ml white vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp of corn starch solution (1:1 solution of corn starch and water)
- White sesame seeds – for garnish
- 50ml water
- Coat Quorn Pieces with beaten egg yolks. Remove and coat in corn starch, put aside to dry.
- Heat oil and deep fry the coated pieces for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Strain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, white vinegar, water and salt. Mix until sugar dissolves. Add tomato ketchup to taste and colour.
- Heat wok up with oil and stir-fry onion until fragrant.
- Add pineapple, cucumber and tomato to the mixture and stir-fry.
- Pour in the sweet and sour sauce and combine with the fried Quorn. Add corn starch solution and stir till thickened.
- Plate up and sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.