Ma Po Tofu Rice with Quorn Meat Free Pieces
A fiery Sichuan classic, that gives you maximum flavour for minimum effort. It packs a punch with the rich and spicy chilli bean paste sauce. Give it a healthier twist by adding Quorn Pieces to add on more healthy goodness of protein and fibre and yet low in saturated fats!
A Little Effort
- 150g Quorn Meat Free Pieces
- 2 blocks silken tofu (approx. 300g each) – diced approx. 2”
- 2 tbsp corn starch (dust off excess)
- 5 pcs shitake mushroom – minced
- ½ tsp garlic – minced
- ½ tsp shallot – minced
- 500ml water
- 200ml vegetable consommé (refer to recipe below)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil and extra for frying Quorn Meat Free Pieces
- 2 tsp hot bean paste
- 1 tsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce (adjust to preference)
- 1 tsp Si chuan pepper oil
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch solution (1:1 solution of corn starch and water)
- Spring onion – chopped for garnish
- Coriander – chopped for garnish
- 300g Chinese cabbage
- 300g celery
- 300g carrot
- 200g white onion
- 200g dried soy bean – soaked in water for an hour
- 10g white peppercorn
- 3L water
- In a pot, bring 500ml water to a boil and pour in dark soy sauce adjusted to preference. Mix well and turn off heat.
- Place diced white tofu in a bowl and pour the soy mixture over it covering the cubes evenly. Set aside and allow it to soak for 10 minutes. Drain the liquid and set the tofu aside.
- In a separate bowl, place Quorn Meat Free Pieces, toss it with corn starch to coat it lightly.
- In a pot, deep fry Quorn Meat Free Pieces till crispy and golden brown. Strain and set aside.
- Heat a wok up over medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil, shallot and garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add in shitake mushrooms and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add hot bean sauce to the mushrooms and stir to incorporate.
- Pour in vegetable consommé, sugar, vegetarian oyster sauce, a dash of dark soy sauce, Si chuan pepper oil and fried Quorn Meat Free Pieces. Mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Thicken with corn starch solution and add in the tofu cubes. Mix well.
- To serve, ladle Mapo Tofu over steamed rice and garnish with spring onion and coriander.
- Dice all vegetables
- In a large stock pot, bring 3L of water to boil, and add in all ingredients then bring to boiling
- Simmer over a low heat for an hour or until the liquid has reduced to about 1 litre
- Remove the vegetables and store the stock for use.