Quorn Recipes That Kids Will Love
Eating meat-free has a range of benefits for your health and the environment, but it can be difficult to find meat-free recipes everyone will enjoy, especially kids.
Eating meat-free has a range of benefits for your health and the environment, but it can be difficult to find meat-free recipes everyone will enjoy, especially kids. Kids can be fussy eaters at the best of times, so trying to serve up delicious and nutritious meals requires some extra consideration and preparation.
Find out why Quorn is the perfect product for busy parents wanting a healthy and tasty meat-free meal for their kids. Easy to prepare, packed full of nutrients and, most importantly, delicious for even the fussiest of kids.
Are Quorn products advisable for kids’ consumption?
Quorn products contain a special type of protein known as Mycoprotein, which is made from a nutritious member of the fungi family called fusarium venenatum. This makes Quorn a really good source of protein; an essential building block for your child’s growth and overall health. Other protein-rich foods include eggs, dairy, fish, soy and soy products, nuts, seeds, and lentils. So, for kids who may have allergies to these foods, Quorn can be a great alternative that helps them achieve their daily recommended protein intake.
However, mycoprotein is also high in fibre and low in fat, meaning it can fill your child up without giving them the energy they need. In fact, 100 grams of Quorn mince is equal to the fibre in three cups of broccoli. It’s for this reason that it’s generally recommended to not give mycoprotein to children under three years old.
Expert opinion suggests that foods using mycoprotein (like Quorn) are less allergenic than soy, nuts, dairy, and other high protein foods. However, it’s important to know that some Quorn products also contain egg, milk, wheat or barley, which may be an allergen for some children.
How do Quorn products benefit kids’ health?
Mycoprotein is the main ingredient found in Quorn food products. This natural product contains many of the essential nutrients kids need for growth and development. Mycoprotein contains the following nutrients:
- Protein: Depending on what Quorn product you buy, the protein levels will vary between 14g-18g per 100g. Mycoprotein is a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids that help to support brain health and development.
- Calcium: The calcium contained in Quorn products is needed for strong bones and teeth in growing children.
- Potassium: This mineral helps to control the balance of fluids in the body, support a healthy metabolism, regulate blood pressure and circulation, as well as support muscle growth.
- Phosphorus: Phosphorus helps release energy from food and supports the growth and repair of tissues and cells.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is important for bone health and heart health.
- Selenium: Selenium helps to support the normal function of the immune system, keeping your child healthy.
- Fibre: Fibre plays an important role in digestion. It also helps kids’ tummies feeling fuller for longer, giving them the energy they need to run and play.
As the prevalence of childhood obesity, diabetes and tooth decay continues to rise, focusing on healthy eating has become increasingly important. Thankfully, there are now even more options for children or families who are vegetarian, with brands like Quorn acknowledging the health benefits of a meat-free lifestyle.
What are some Quorn recipes kids will love?
With a number of mouth-watering Quorn recipes to try, your kids are sure to find one they’ll love. The best part? Our recipes require hardly any time to prepare, and there are options for all meals of the day and even recipes for healthy lunchbox snacks. Some of the best Quorn recipes for kids include:
- Quorn Gluten Free Meat Free Spaghetti Bolognese: Kids will love this delicious plate of spaghetti. Use Quorn Meat Free Mince as a bolognese or shape into meatballs for a quick yet nutritious dinner.
- Homemade Gluten Free Pizza with Quorn Meat Free Pieces: Whose child doesn’t love pizza? The best part about our homemade pizza recipe is that it’s a healthier and tastier alternative to takeaway pizza. You can also get your kids involved by having them choose their favourite toppings to put on!
- Quorn Homemade Butternut Squash Sausage Rolls: Sausage rolls are a yummy treat for lunch boxes or after school snacks. They’re also fun to make and a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen.
Find meat-free meals kids will love
Find more fantastic meals that your kids will love by browsing the full Quorn recipe list. Whether its Quorn mince for spaghetti bolognese or Quorn pieces to top a pizza, delicious and nutritious recipe ideas are available for the whole family to enjoy.