- Ma Po Tofu Rice with Quorn Meat Free Pieces
Ma Po Tofu Rice with Quorn Meat Free Pieces3.25 out of 5, 1 based on 44 ratings
Ma Po Tofu Rice with Quorn Meat Free Pieces
A fiery Sichuan classic, that gives you maximum flavour for minimum effort. It packs a punch with the rich and spicy chilli bean paste sauce. Give it a healthier twist by adding Quorn Pieces to add on more healthy goodness of protein and fibre and yet low in saturated fats!
DifficultyA Little Effort
- 150g Quorn Meat Free Pieces
- 2 blocks silken tofu (approx. 300g each) – diced approx. 2”
- 2 tbsp corn starch (dust off excess)
- 5 pcs shitake mushroom – minced
- ½ tsp garlic – minced
- ½ tsp shallot – minced
- 500ml water
- 200ml vegetable consommé (refer to recipe below)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil and extra for frying Quorn Meat Free Pieces
- 2 tsp hot bean paste
- 1 tsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce (adjust to preference)
- 1 tsp Si chuan pepper oil
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch solution (1:1 solution of corn starch and water)
- Spring onion – chopped for garnish
- Coriander – chopped for garnish
- 300g Chinese cabbage
- 300g celery
- 300g carrot
- 200g white onion
- 200g dried soy bean – soaked in water for an hour
- 10g white peppercorn
- 3L water
In a pot, bring 500ml water to a boil and pour in dark soy sauce adjusted to preference. Mix well and turn off heat.
Place diced white tofu in a bowl and pour the soy mixture over it covering the cubes evenly. Set aside and allow it to soak for 10 minutes. Drain the liquid and set the tofu aside.
In a separate bowl, place Quorn Meat Free Pieces, toss it with corn starch to coat it lightly.
In a pot, deep fry Quorn Meat Free Pieces till crispy and golden brown. Strain and set aside.
Heat a wok up over medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil, shallot and garlic and fry till fragrant.
Add in shitake mushrooms and stir fry for a few minutes.
Add hot bean sauce to the mushrooms and stir to incorporate.
Pour in vegetable consommé, sugar, vegetarian oyster sauce, a dash of dark soy sauce, Si chuan pepper oil and fried Quorn Meat Free Pieces. Mix well.
Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
Thicken with corn starch solution and add in the tofu cubes. Mix well.
To serve, ladle Mapo Tofu over steamed rice and garnish with spring onion and coriander.
Dice all vegetables
In a large stock pot, bring 3L of water to boil, and add in all ingredients then bring to boiling
Simmer over a low heat for an hour or until the liquid has reduced to about 1 litre
Remove the vegetables and store the stock for use.